In the digital era we live in, an increasing number of professionals have transitioned from 9-5 jobs in the office to working remotely in the comfort of their own homes, or even taking their jobs to exotic destinations. While this flexibility presents many advantages, there are also some downsides to remote work. One of the biggest challenges that digital nomads face is solitude. Working from home can get very lonely, and even if you travel somewhere else, it’s not always easy to meet like-minded people who want to explore a new place but also work productively at the same time.
That’s where travel programs for digital nomads come in. One example is Nomad Month, which organizes work retreats for digital nomads and remote workers. It’s a great way to make friends as soon as you set foot in a new destination, immerse yourself in a new culture and live a unique experience without having to give up on your work.
What Is Nomad Month?
Nomad Month offers digital nomads and remote workers the opportunity to stay in Prague for a month and explore the city like a local. The program was designed by Mathias and Eva, two expats who have lived in Prague for many years, and now call it their home.
They also run a coworking space together, where they’ve built an amazing community of professionals from over 25 different countries and working in all fields. Their goal is to invite remote workers from all over the world to meet and make connections with the community, while experiencing Prague in a more authentic way.
By joining a Nomad Month program, participants can dodge the hassle of planning their coworkation. Nomad Month carefully selects studios in some of the best neighborhoods – remember the organizers are “local”, so they know where it’s best to stay, and which areas to avoid.
Participants are also provided with 24/7 access to the coworking space where they can focus on their work, but also meet like-minded individuals – both the coworking members and other participants traveling with Nomad Month – and join the many events that are organized every week.
Quick Facts About Nomad Month
Nomad Month is for those who’d like to escape the routine and try out the nomadic lifestyle for a few weeks. The founders are expats who’ve lived in Prague for many years and run work retreats in the city for remote workers who’d like to experience Prague more authentically and meet people along the way.
- All participants must already have a remote job or project they’ll be working on during the retreat. Nomad Month carefully selects all the participants following a quick call to make sure they’re all a good fit for the group.
- Be ready to spend the best month of your life!
- Experiencing Prague like a local rather than a tourist. Because the organizers have been living in the city for many years, they take participants to places where locals go and show them all those hidden gems in Prague that tourists often overlook. Joining Nomad Month is a great way to discover the city in a more authentic way and fully immerse yourself in the culture.
- Accommodation in some of the best areas. Looking for a place to stay in a city you’ve never been to before can be overwhelming. It’s often hard to know in advance where the good neighborhoods are. But Nomad Month takes care of it for you, providing accommodation in areas that are easily accessible by public transport and with tons of grocery stores and restaurants around.
- Access to the best rated coworking space in Prague. The creators of Nomad Month run a coworking space themselves, which is renowned for its strong sense of community, with members coming from all over the world. Nomad Month pricing includes 24/7 access to the space, where not only can you focus on your work, but also meet other long-term members and join all the events that are organized every week. It’s a great balance between work and social life.
- Being part of a diverse community of remote workers and digital nomads. Participants immediately get a sense of belonging to the community in the coworking space. But on top of that, they also get the opportunity to meet other Nomad Month participants that are traveling to Prague around the same time.
- A bunch of events and activities to never get bored. Every week, Nomad Month organizes activities and day trips to discover Prague and the Czech Republic. Participants can just choose which ones to join, or even suggest other things they’d like to do. The program is 100% flexible.
- Local hosts who know the city inside out and are there to help before and during the program.
- Local SIM card filled with data to have Internet connection (almost) the minute you land in Prague.
- First Time in Prague Guide. Before the trip, participants receive information about the city, such as how public transport works, what to bring, how to get from the airport to the city, a few useful Czech words, and more.
How Does Nomad Month Work?
This is how Nomad Month works explained in three simple steps:
- Participants pick the date when they’d like to come to Prague. All programs are four weeks long, although the length can be shortened or extended upon request. Price depends on the time of the year.
- They’re then asked to fill out a form with their details and schedule a quick call with the team. The aim of the call is to make sure participants are a good fit for the group, so it’s just a very casual talk where more information is provided and participants get the opportunity to ask questions.
- Participants can just sit back and relax! Nomad Month will take it from here and arrange everything for their stay in Prague. The team is of course available to answer any questions that might arise before departure.
While Nomad Month takes care of arranging everything on-site, each participant is responsible for the following:
- Booking their own flights to Prague.
- Making sure they have the right documents, such as a valid passport and a visa (when applicable).
- Purchasing health insurance.
Who Can Qualify for Nomad Month?
Nomad Month welcomes anyone with a remote job who’s seeking a community of professionals who share their enthusiasm for travel, adventure, and personal and professional development. While software developers, writers and marketing specialists seem to be the most recurrent profile, the program is open to individuals from diverse backgrounds and professions.
How Long Does It Last?
Typically, programs are four weeks long. While the length can be shortened upon request, Nomad Month highly recommends to stay at least a month to be sure to experience life in Prague as a local. Staying for the full month means that participants have higher chances of meeting several other nomads and join all events that are planned throughout the month.
If four weeks seem like it’s too short, Nomad Month also offers the possibility to book a longer stay, with a discount for stays over two months.
How Much Does Nomad Month Cost?
The cost of the program depends on the time of the year, with prices ranging from €1,880 to €3,260 for four weeks. Travelers on a tighter budget can choose to stay in Prague during the cheaper months, which typically correspond to the low season, meaning they’ll get a more intimate experience avoiding the crowds.
What Is Included?
- Accommodation in a studio, including regular cleaning and high-speed wifi. These are carefully selected by the team and are located in some of the best areas in town.
- 24/7 access to the coworking space for productive work. The membership also includes unlimited coffee and tea, call booths, four hours of meeting room use for free, printing and the possibility to join all the events organized by the space community managers.
- An international community of expats that have lived in Prague for months, or even years, and other remote workers joining Nomad Month at the same time. Nomad Month believes that community is at the core of the experience, and participants often find this the highlight of their stay in Prague.
- Local hosts who have lived in Prague for many years and can provide lots of tips about the city and help participants with anything they need.
- Nomad Month program with activities every week. Here’s an example of the type of activities that are organized, but participants are also encouraged to suggest things they’d like to do.
- Networking events to meet locals.
- Local SIM card for Internet connection.
- First Time in Prague Guide with the essentials about the city.
FAQs About Nomad Month
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
What Is the Average Age for Nomad Month?
Nomad Month welcomes participants of all ages. However, based on experience, most travelers are aged between 30-45.
Who Owns Nomad Month?
Nomad Month was designed by Mathias and Eva, two expats in Prague who run an international coworking space together. The project arose from their desire to invite remote workers from all over the world to join them in Prague for a few weeks and experience the city like a local while they focus on their work. Their goal is to show participants the charms of Prague and help them discover some of its hidden gems that they would otherwise never hear of. And, of course, invite them to join the amazing community of expats that they’ve built throughout the years.
How Much Money Do I Need to Participate in a Nomad Month Program?
The price of the program includes accommodation, access to the coworking space and all the other perks listed above. On top of that, participants have to budget for their transportation to Prague, travel-related documents (visas, insurance, etc.), as well as other personal expenses, such as meals or activities.
For reference, a 30-minute ride on public transportation costs 30 Kč (around $1.30), a lunch menu at a restaurant is between 180 - 200 Kč (around $8), and you shouldn’t pay more than 70 Kč ($3) for half a liter of beer.
Will I Get a Refund If the Trip Is Cancelled?
In the event that Nomad Month is forced to cancel the program before the start date for any reason, participants are entitled to a full refund.
What sort of events can I expect to happen?
There’s a whole bunch of events going on, but participants can just choose which ones they’d like to attend. Some informal events include coffee breaks, community lunches, a pub night, a Prague walk, etc. There might also be other productivity events where a group meets to explain what they want to work on and keep each other accountable. On top of that, there are a couple of out-of-Prague trips for those who want to discover the beautiful nature or cozy towns in Czechia.
Who are the people that will be there with me?
Participants will be spending most time together with the established expat community and fellow Nomads who are staying in Prague at the same time. The coworking community consists of people coming from more than 25 countries but who choose to live in Prague. There are people that stay for a month or two, and there are people who have been a member for more than 10 years. Everyone there is a solo-worker which makes it very easy to connect.
Can I take online meetings in the coworking space?
Yes. The coworking space has some corners specifically designed for calls: two meeting rooms and four call booths. In warm weather, members can also take calls from the courtyard.
Will it be possible to work productively during the Nomad Month?
Yes. Participants only attend the events they want to according to their schedule and interests. The coworking space is well known for being a good place to stay focused. The combination of individual focused work and social breaks seems to be working well.
What are the payment terms?
Upon enrolment in the program, participants are asked to pay a non-refundable deposit of 10% to reserve their spot. This amount will be deducted from the total cost of the program.
Final payment must be received no later than 14 days before the start date of the program.
What’s the cancellation policy?
50% refund of the program fee for cancellations up to seven days before the program start date. For cancellations less than seven days before the program start date, the full amount of the program fee is non-refundable.