Citizen Remote logo

Safety Wing Nomad Insurance For Digital Nomads

What is Safety Wing?

Living on the road comes with some risks. As a digital nomad you need to make sure you have access to healthcare wherever you are. Thankfully, there are healthcare plans out there that are made just for digital nomads!
Safety Wing is the total medical insurance, to travel without the worries of any unexpected health situations, hospital bills or flight delays. COVID-19 included.
The new tech revolution created a generation of digital nomads. Safety Wing is designed to be an adaptable, safety net of healthcare worldwide for anyone that lives on the road.
The platform has the power to assist you medically no matter where you are, or what your conditions may be. Its five products are designed to cover the needs of the modern digital nomad.
Here is a list of the products it offers that could be valuable for digital nomads.

Nomad Insurance

Built specifically for digital nomads, this travel and medical incident insurance can be purchased while already abroad. It operates as a monthly subscription, and it also covers home trip visits in some cases.

Team Remote Health

A fully remote health insurance for entrepreneurs and remote teams. This is a flexible solution for global companies that won’t be found in other insurance companies. The Team Remote Health insurance is geared for larger companies, so if you are a sole digital nomad, Safety Wing has other products for you.

Remote Health

Designed for full-time digital nomads, this health insurance assists the patient in any country as quickly as possible, thanks to their broad network of health providers. We have loads more info on what this plan covers below, so please keep reading if you need a plan like this!

What Safety Wings Covers

Safety Wing will cover expenses whether you fall ill, or have an accident while abroad. If you are on the road and need medical assistance this is a worthwhile company to deal with. It also will help with doctor visits or prescription drugs.

Its services include paying for a room and nursing services at a Hospital, Intensive Care up to the maximum limit of $250,000 ($100,000 for 65 years old and above). This has a $250 deductible.

If you need an ambulance trip, you will have to make a $50 co-payment. The insurance also covers $50 a day for chiropractic care and physical therapy (which must be ordered by a physician in advance), and/or up to $1,000 for emergency dental, which is also not subject to a deductible.

In case of emergency, you should call the local emergency phone number in the country you are in. For emergency travel arrangements, medical or political evacuations, or any other issues concerning coverage, you can call +1 866 635 2163 anytime.

The claims department at Safety Wing can be contacted at +1 800 605 2282, and for any questions prior to purchase, just email

Only high risk sports activities, pre-existing diseases or injuries, and/or cancer treatments are excluded from the policy. Also racing and/or intoxication related accidents aren’t covered.

Nomad Insurance provides coverage for accidents that happen in gym classes, spontaneous sports activities with or without friends, and even lessons with a personal trainer.

Only professional, or rewarded athletic activities are not covered. Here is a list of the sports that are, and aren’t covered by the policy.

Included sports

  • Angling

  • Archery

  • Badminton

  • Ballooning

  • Baseball

  • Biking – includes touring and organised tours

  • Bowling

  • Bungee jumping

  • Bushwalking up to 4,500 meters

  • Camel riding / trekking

  • Camping under 4,500 meters

  • Canoeing

  • Canyon swing

  • Canyoning

  • Capoeira dancing

  • Clay pigeon shooting

  • Cricket

  • Cycling under 4,500 meters

  • Deep sea fishing

  • Dirt boarding

  • Dog sledding (not racing or competing)

  • Fell running / walking

  • Fencing

  • Fishing

  • Flying as a passenger

  • Football (Soccer)

  • Glacier walking up to 4,500 meters

  • Golf

  • Gymnastics (only as exercise or for fun; not competitive or organized)

  • Hiking up to 4,500 meters

  • Horse riding

  • Hot air ballooning as a passenger

  • Hunting (excluding big game)

  • Ice skating (indoor or outdoor)

  • Ice climbing up to 4,500 meters

  • Jet boating

  • Jet skiing

  • Kayaking

  • Land surfing

  • Moped biking except as excluded below

  • Motor biking except as excluded below

  • Mountain biking up to 4,500 meters

  • Netball

  • Orienteering

  • Outdoor endurance except as excluded below

  • Paint balling

  • Rambling

  • Rap jumping

  • Rifle range shooting

  • Roller blading

  • Roller skating

  • Rowing / sculling

  • Safari tours

  • Sailing

  • Sandboarding

  • Sandskiing

  • Scuba diving (sub Aqua Pursuits involving underwater breathing apparatus) as long as you are PADI/NAUI/SSI certified, or if you are not certified you are covered for up to 10 meters when accompanied by a certified instructor.

  • Sea canoeing

  • Sea kayaking

  • Skateboarding

  • Skiing (only covered for recreational skiing. No cover provided while skiing away from prepared and marked in-bound territories (off piste) and/or against the advice of the local ski school or local authoritative body)

  • Sleigh rides

  • Sledding

  • Snorkeling except as excluded below

  • Snow rafting

  • Snowboarding (only covered for recreational snowboarding skiing. No cover provided while skiing away from prepared and marked in-bound territories (off piste) and/or against the advice of the local ski school or local authoritative body)

  • Soccer (Football)

  • Speed boating

  • Squash

  • Stand up paddle surfing

  • Stilt walking

  • Surfing except as excluded below

  • Swimming

  • Table tennis

  • Ten pin bowling

  • Tennis

  • Trail bike riding

  • Trekking up to 4,500 meters

  • Tubing

  • Tubing on snow

  • Ultimate frisbee

  • Via ferrata up to 4,500 meters

  • Volleyball

  • Wake skating

  • Wakeboarding

  • Walking

  • Water skiing

  • Weightlifting, cardio and classes at the gym (note that training for or attending a powerlifting competition is excluded.)

  • Windsurfing

  • Yachting (coastal waters only)

  • Yachting (outside coastal waters)

  • Yoga (in class or alone)

  • Zip line

  • Zorbing

Excluded Sports

  • All-Terrain Vehicles

  • American Football

  • Aussie Rules Football

  • Aviation (except when traveling solely as a passenger in a commercial aircraft)

  • Base Jumping

  • Big Game Hunting

  • Bobsleigh

  • Boxing

  • Cave Diving

  • Cliff Jumping

  • Heli-Skiing

  • Heli-gliding

  • Hot Air Ballooning as a Pilot

  • Ice Hockey

  • Kite-Surfing

  • Martial Arts

  • Luge

  • Motorized Dirt Bikes

  • Mountaineering at elevations of 4,500 meters or higher

  • Outdoor Endurance Events

  • Parachuting

  • Parasailing

  • Powerlifting (lifting at max weight with the intention of attending a competition)

  • Quad Biking

  • Racing by any Animal, Motorized Vehicle, or BMX, and Speed Trials and Speedway

  • Rugby

  • Running with the Bulls

  • Skeleton

  • Skiing off piste (outside prepared and marked in-bound territories) and/or against or against the advice of the local ski school or local authoritative body

  • Snowboarding off piste (outside prepared and marked in-bound territories)and/or against or against the advice of the local ski school or local authoritative body

  • Sky Surfing

  • Snow Mobile

  • Spelunking

  • Sub Aqua Pursuits involving underwater breathing apparatus (unless accompanied by a certified instructor at depths less than 10m, or PADI/NAUI/SSI certified)

  • Tractors

  • Whitewater Rafting

  • Wrestlin

Covering COVID19, and Loads More!

Just like any other illness, COVID19 is under policy coverage, unless it was contracted before the insurance start date. Testing for COVID-19 will be included, if it is considered necessary by a doctor.

Nomad Insurance also covers up to ten days’ quarantine outside your home country with $50 a day. Whether you have tested positive for COVID-19 or you are symptomatic and waiting for the test results, your quarantine payments are guaranteed.

For every 90 days covered abroad, you will enjoy an extra non accumulative 30 days (15 days if in the US) coverage, in your home country for unforeseen medical situations. This visit home will be covered only if it is incidental, meaning that it cannot be used to obtain treatment for an injury or illness that happened while abroad.
Other mishaps that can impact your life on the road are also covered.

For example, trip interruptions are covered with a payment up to $5,000 are included, and don’t require a deductible. Flight delays are covered up to $100 for unplanned overnight stays while you wait for another flight.

Up to $3,000 in lost checked luggage will be covered, with a $500 per item limit, and a $6,000 lifetime limit.

Loads of Extra Items are Covered

A lot of really wild stuff can happen out there. Safety Wing has you covered in ways you may not have ever considered!

For natural disasters, up to $100 a day is available for 5 days, and in case of political evacuation or up to $100,000 is included, this also covers emergency medical evacuation.

Personal Liability insurance is also included, and there is a lifetime maximum of $25,000. Third person injury and/or property are covered at a level of $25,000 each. Related third person property insurance is $2,500.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) is also covered, and the payout is based on the amount of damage.

Coverage does not include kidnapping or express kidnapping in countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, Nigeria, Syria, Venezuela, or any other country under sanctions by the United States Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Where will your next adventure lead you?

Complete a short quiz to know all your options!

Start Visa Quiz

How to sign up for Safety Wing

Signing up is as simple as logging on to Safety Wing, and choosing between Nomad Insurance or Remote Health. If you want to end your subscription, it is as easy as clicking the ¨Stop Insurance¨ button, and your coverage will end by the end of the current period you have paid for.

How Much Does Safety Wing Cost?

The fee for a Nomad Insurance is $42 for four weeks (28 days), or $77 for four weeks (28 days) if you want to include traveling in the US, for anyone who is between 18 to 39 years old.

A maximum of two children over 15 days and under 9 years old are included in the insurance policy, without extra costs.

For adults ranging from 40 to 49 years old, fees are $68,04, or $126,56 if traveling in the US is included.

The price rises to $106,68 or $208,04 including the US for adults between 50 to 59 years old.

If you are older, you will have to pay $144,76 or $284,20 if you are between 60 to 64 years old, and $144,76 or $284,20 for anyone 65 to 69 years old senior travelers. The US always has a more expensive fee due to its high priced healthcare.

The insurance will automatically charge the payment every 28 days, until you decide to cancel the insurance. If you hold the policy for 364 days, the platform will ask you if you want to sign up for another year.

Safety Wing Delivers Great Coverage

Safety Wing isn’t the only option out there for digital nomads, but it is one of the most convenient platforms for people who live outside of their home country.

If you are currently uninsured, and live in a country that has relatively expensive healthcare, it is well worth looking at as an insurance provider. Especially for young people, its rates are extremely affordable, and include a huge number of coverage areas.