Aptos is building a Layer 1 blockchain designed to emphasise absolute safety, extensible scalability, and credible neutrality — values we know firsthand and viscerally understand. Now, on the fourth iteration of the consensus protocol, we are confident that Aptos can bring affordability, decentralisation, and speed to the daily lives of billions of internet users. It is the lowest latency, optimistically-responsive BFT protocol available, and it features a robust, on-chain reputation system and novel methods for parallel execution — a key enabler of speed at scale. We will rapidly deploy many key innovations in performance, functionality and improvements to the overall user experience and leverage our ability to do major upgrades seamlessly.
Aptos is a people-first blockchain on a mission to help billions achieve universal and fair access to decentralised assets in a safe and scalable way.
Founded by some of the original creators and maintainers that researched, designed, and built the Diem blockchain to serve this purpose, we have dedicated several years toward this mission. We believe our open-source Diem technology is an important foundation of a safe and scalable web3 world where everyone has more equitable opportunities to grow and access financial assets with lower fees and fewer intermediaries.
Aptos (Ohlone for ‘The People’) encompasses our mission and ethos for why we build.
As part of the Blockchain team, you will be responsible for building the most production-grade L1 for everyone. You will work on initiatives from performance, reliability, scalability, decentralisation, and incentives to enable the many safe and scalable applications to thrive. These projects will emphasise quality, safety, and interoperability with other Aptos tools. As it currently stands, the scope is open-ended, but some projects will likely be from the following areas: governance, tokenomics, decentralised finance, games, and social.
What you’ll be doing
- Design core, backend software components, and code primarily using Rust that support a blockchain and its ecosystem of systems
- Use extensive experience to build, test, debug, and deploy large-scale decentralized systems across thousands of nodes
- Work with file systems, execution engines, programming language design, and consensus protocols to complete complex engineering challenges such as scaling up performance and reducing transaction latency
- Develop and maintain high-quality software engineering practices and principles in a highly visible open-source project
What we’re looking for
- 3 years (ideally 5+ years) of experience as a hands-on software engineer
- Expertise in networking, consensus protocols, parallel execution, storage, authenticated data structures, and/or caching
- Experience with a low-level programming language such as Rust, Go, Swift, or C/C++
Other things that could set you apart from the rest
- Located in any of our hubs (US – we’re spread out across but have strong presence in the Bay Area; London – we have team members in broader Europe too).
- Fluent in English (native or professional fluency).
- Experience with any of the following: Layer 1s, top blockchain companies, DeFi, top Web2 companies.