The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
The Create:Editor Extensions team is part of the Create Stage in the Dev Sub-department. The Create stage focuses on multiple categories: Editor Extensions, Code Suggestions, the Web IDE, Remote Development, and more.
Our team works on Editor Extensions that support developers directly in their IDEs, where they spend the majority of their time.
You’ll be working on the Visual Studio extension. Joining the Editor Extensions team provides the opportunity to work on cutting-edge AI enhancement projects, which are at the forefront of technological advancements. The team’s focus on expanding IDE support for the Visual Studio Extension and the Language Server offers an exciting challenge and a chance to contribute to innovative solutions.
Some examples of our projects:
- Integrate GitLab Duo Chat in the Visual Studio extension
- Implement Code Suggestions telemetry using IDE APIs
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team (“technical debt”), propose and implement solutions.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues
What you’ll bring
- Mandatory: C# professional experience (2+ years preferred)
- Mandatory: Kotlin experience (or strong java)
- SQL and database skills (PostgreSQL experience a plus)
- Proven experience building web applications and APIs
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for achieving consensus and success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- You are familiar with working in an open source environment
- You are comfortable working in a cross-functional organization
- You are able to thrive in a fully remote organization
- You are able to use GitLab
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
About the team
We are currently focused on bringing Code Suggestions to more IDEs, by building dedicated extensions for VS Code, JetBrains, Visual Studio, Neovim, and GitLab’s Web IDE. We work on multiple projects written in Typescript, Kotlin, C#, and Lua.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.