Discourse is a global company with a product that is 100% open source. Our team is 81 people and growing. We’re transforming the online community space. Our product powers a substantial segment of successful online communities, with >30,000 Discourse instances globally. We have thousands of paying customers, with a growing number of Fortune 500 companies on our list, alongside many leading players in the fast-growth technology, gaming and blockchain/web3 spaces.Discourse is the 100% open source discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet. Use it as a mailing list, discussion forum, long-form chat room, and more!
About the Job
A Migration Specialist on our Migrations team functions as a generalist, but with a technical skill set in development.
Some days you may be running a small migration or helping a customer tweak their CSS. Other days you may be writing a complex import script for an Enterprise customer or troubleshooting a technical issue with a customer’s site.
Discourse is primarily a hosting company: the majority of the work you will do will be focused on migrations, supporting our customers, or assisting with customer-specific implementations.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Scoping customer migration inquiries
- Performing migrations using our robust import script library
- Supporting customers via our public forums and our support inboxes
- Reproducing bugs for our engineers to fix
- Handling day to day tasks managing customer sites on our infrastructure (e.g. moving sites between tiers, restoring backups, etc.)
We’re looking for someone who:
- A strong technical aptitude. Your experience includes developing in Ruby or a similar language, writing SQL queries for MySQL/Postgres, and working on remote Linux servers (Debian-based) via the command line.
- Bonus points if you’ve built something for the Discourse community, such as submitting a quality pull request, building a custom plugin, or performing a migration.
- Since migrations are detail-intensive, you should be someone who looks to get the little things correct and follows up on loose ends. You must be comfortable keeping several projects in the air at once, but with the ability to find and focus on special projects during quieter times.
- An excellent working knowledge of Discourse, including use of the Discourse admin interface, and you’re not afraid to dig into logs and technical details to get to the bottom of an issue.
- Great customer service skills, like responsiveness, follow-through, and empathizing with customer needs. Taking care of customers is the highest priority for you. You’re not afraid to ask for help or escalate a task if you find yourself stuck, but you take the time to learn so that you can perform the same task yourself if it comes up again.
At Discourse, the ability to communicate well in writing is paramount. We use our own software, Discourse, for most communication and most of your interaction with customers and team members will be in writing. In order to live these values, we look for folks who are:
- Detail-oriented, proactive, and organized
- Able to make decisions quickly and communicate effectively
- Work well independently and remotely
- Kind to their co-workers
- Highly driven with an execution focus and a strong belief in our mission to make the internet a better place
About Our Pay & Benefits
We believe that high-quality benefits make our team more effective. We’ve been thoughtful about our benefits package which includes a completely flexible schedule, 5 weeks of vacation per year, funding for a co-working stipend, and much more!
Our Salary Framework is location and experience based and we’re happy to provide a range up front. We also give every employee a stake in the success of the business, regardless of seniority or role. All full-time employees are eligible to receive equity options in the company as part of our equity incentive program.
Lastly, we believe in having a welcoming workplace where people with diverse backgrounds and cultures can create something great together. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t meet every qualification! Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.